Enabling power on by PCI-E/PCI on ASUS motherboard wasn’t enough for WOL function. With Fedora shutdown and power on (or reboot) WOL option was again disabled. So, the solution was to somehow enable WOL on Fedora boot and here is how.
- first on ASUS motherboard P8H61-M LX in BIOS enable “Power on by PCI-E/PCI” option
Advanced -> APM -> Power on by PCI-E/PCI -> Enable
- boot to Fedora and display NIC status as root
root> ethtool enp3s0
- search for Wake-on line
- in my case was displayed “Wake-on: d” (disabled)
- for WOL to work, after reboot Wake-on should be in mode “g” (MagicPacket)
- all details can be found on Wiki page
- in short, create file /etc/systemd/network/50-wired.link as root with following content
[Match] MACAddress=11:22:33:44:55:66 [Link] NamePolicy=kernel database onboard slot path MACAddressPolicy=persistent WakeOnLan=magic
Write in your MAC address instead of 11:22:33:44:55:66, save and after reboot test Wake-on line. After adding 50-wired.link file Wake-on line should have “g” and WOL should work.